FCC Rockwall


History

Church History

The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was born out of two separate, but similar, movements on the American frontier in the early 1800’s.  In 1832, these two groups, the Christians led by Barton W. Stone and the Disciples of Christ led by Alexander Campbell, united in Lexington, Kentucky.  Today, with nearly one million members in the U.S. and Canada, it’s one of the largest faith groups founded on North American soil.

Both movements stemmed from their followers’ passion for Christian unity and belief that the Bible was the only rule of faith and practice.  As a result, human creeds were denounced, as were strong denominational bonds.

Our predecessors coined phrases such as “No creed but Christ”; “Where the Scriptures speak, we speak; where the scriptures are silent, we are silent”; and “We are not the only Christians, but Christians only.”  Today, Christian Churches remain scripturally founded, congregationally governed, and lay led.

Following Where God Leads

First Christian Church is the oldest Christian Organization in Rockwall, with congregational roots dating to the 1840’s.  As the 1990’s ended, it became apparent to our growing congregation that First Christian Church Rockwall needed more room to grow.

The quaint little church on Fannin Street would be unable to house our growing congregation, as it had since 1916.  Zoning restrictions on the property and parking requirements made rebuilding on the present site unfeasible.

Fannin Street Building

A search for a new location was undertaken and new land was found in the form of several acres at the northeast corner of FM 740 and White Road in South Rockwall, and we purchased the land in early 2000.  We sold the church building at 305 South Fannin in November 2002 to the Rockwall Wedding Chapel.

We are pleased that the facility will be used as a wedding chapel and be lovingly cared for and restored.  This was not an easy decison for the congregation, who had come to love the old building we called home.  That facility was witness to the joys and sorrows of many in the congregational family.

Transom Window

The original stained glass windows, removed from the old building, restored and incorporated into our new facility, bring with them many memories, joy and comfort to our church family.

Dove Window

This stained glass window was originally dedicated in loving memory of Agnes Gardenhire, who died on November 13, 1908.

The upper portion of the window was restored in memory of Oliver and Della Nevil and daughter La Voyce Gardenhire by Dr. James and Dona Gardenhire in 2004.

The lower portion of the window was restored in honor of the Hodge Family and the Powell Family and Mark Anthony Hamm by Wilson and Peggy Hodge in 2004

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 − three =